My close personal friend (whose real name I don’t know) streiff posted this yesterday:
It seems like every day we are confronted with more evidence that Rand Paul and his followers should be kept as far from the levers of power as Barack Obama.
Paul seems to be either unable or unwilling to break free of the need to suck up to the same nutjobs and douches that kept his old man in psychotropic drugs for a couple of decades. Regardless, the effect is the same. Putin carving Crimea out of Ukraine is fine. The GOP “hawks” are to blame for arming ISIS (no mention is made of Obama or Hillary being anywhere in the same hemisphere). The newest round of nutjobbery from Paul is a video churned out by his allied America’s Liberty PAC.
Can’t say I’m shocked.
I predicted something like this a little over a year ago (Cruz vs Paul):
Here’s what I think is going to happen with Rand Paul:
- He’s either going to keep his dad’s base or he’s going to lose it.
- If he keeps it, that means he will own their history of extremism.
- If he loses it, he loses their operational impact.
I really don’t think he can have it both ways.
As a Cruz apologist, I do think Rand Paul serves one very useful function:
If it’s down to a choice between him and Cruz, I fully expect Matt Lewis, along with Jonah Goldberg, Rich Lowry—and even John Podhoretz—to join the Cruz bandwagon.
Even if they have to hold their noses to do it.
It appears to me Rand has decided to go all-in on his father’s army of paulites, with everything that entails.
Two things about Cruz right now:
- This is another example of everyone seeming to go out of their way to help Cruz.
- Although Cruz is catching a lot of these kinds of breaks, he STILL needs to get the WMD thing right (Ted Cruz doesn’t get ‘WMD’ right either).